I just finished China Ghosts by Jeff Gammage. I love his perspective, it's so like my own. But in light of the rather melancholy beginning to this blog (I swear I'm not really a brooding type of person and sooner or later I'll post something upbeat) I thought it only appropriate to include this quote which encapsulates what I already feel so well:
"There is never a day I don't think about them [the birthparents]. Never a day I don't consider the paradox of our situations, don't ponder the cold truth that my life's happiness springs from their life's anguish. A Chinese acquaintance calls it "the burden of good fortune"-- the price that must be paid for having benefitted so greatly from the misfortune of another." p. 239



4 comments:
Thanks for sharing your blog. I am glad that you are sharing your book reviews - I am a book worm and always looking for new reads. Your concern for the birth mother and being conflicted really is an eye opener. I think that is a very real emotion that we all have to deal with in some way and learn to overcome any guilt we may have.
I love books too! Thanks for the review. I do love that quote. I'm glad you joined the "bloggers." :)
CandiceS
Oh! that quote is so so true. The degree to which one feels these things changes as often as the tide too.
Thanks for choosing to share your adventure.
Julie R
(Devi's mom)
I'm so glad you are up and running on blogger! I love your thoughtful, honest posts. You are voicing many of the same thoughts and struggles I have too. The birthmother thing became even more real to me when Daya came home and I was staring into her eyes all the time. Just looking at her brings up so many questions about who she comes from. Praying for her biological family has brought me a lot of peace and comfort. Glad you're blogging!!! :)
Post a Comment