Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Date Night!

I have stolen the idea from some of you online moms to keep track of some of the "kiddie moments" here. I too am AWFUL with baby books. I dutifully bought them and then proceeded to use them as folders for pictures and mementos and wrote about five words in each!

With his entrance to "big boy school" fast approaching too quickly I am trying to spend a lot of special one-on-one time with my big boy. We had a date night a few nights ago. I took him to The Melting Pot for fondue. He was soooo grown up (minus the chocolate on his face)! I am constantly amazed that we can have real discussions now. Although one major focus of the night was what we were going to do next (his vote was Wal-mart to look at toys : ) We were sitting dipping our apples in cheese when he asked if we could bring Jackie with us next time, since he was so sad when we left. I told him probably not for awhile since there are burners in the middle of the table and Jack is too little and might get burned. Those boys vacillate wildly between worst enemies and best friends! But this led to a discussion of when Gavin was a baby and he looked up at me all seriousness and said, "Mommy I want to always be five. I don't want to get any bigger." Awwwww. My sweet baby, me too! Of course I tried to tell him all the good things about getting older. But all I could think was, uh oh my little boy has inherited my neurotic awareness of time passing!! It started most recently when a friend of mine said to him (as I was trying to get him to eat his lunch- the kid doesn't eat!) that he needed to eat to get big and strong and his initial reaction was- I don't want to get big and strong, I want to stay little! Today he said to me, "I think tomorrow I'm going to be 4 again. 4 was good." If only it were that easy.

4 comments:

The Labontes said...

What a fun date night! I've never done fondue before, and it looks like a blast for kiddos!

Enjoy 'em while they're little
Kristy

Amy said...

How fun! They are building a Melting Pot here - I can't wait to try it. Your son is a cutie!

Julie & Patrick said...

How cute...wish I could stay little too...or maybe just 29! ;)

Date nights! what a fun idea. We love our Melting Pot too!! It takes forever to eat a meal, but is always a blast...especially when you are spending your time with your little man, right?

Julie R

Candice said...

Love the date nights! My husband does it with our daughters. Their last dates were bowling and pizza with Emma and a Steven Curtis Chapman concert for Hallie. They even got to go back stage and meet SCC! How can you top that?! :)

Love the picture of you and your two boys. :)

Candice