Monday, August 11, 2008

Brothers!


I just had to document this.  This boy constantly cracks me up and his interpretation and understanding of the adoption constantly catches me by surprise.

Gavin and I were watching "The Adoption Story" a few days ago (or rather I was watching, he was playing on the couch beside me).  It was the one where the couple with two little girls go to India to adopt twin boys (have they made any new ones in the past 5 years?)

So, Gavin looks up and sees the baby boys in the orphanage.   Seizing the opportunity I mention how it is the same country where we will go someday to get his new sibling and ask how he feels about that.  I am expecting a comment on the scenes of India they were showing or the babies in the orphanage.  

You can just see the wheels turning in his head as he watches quietly for a moment, "Mommy they have brothers in India too?" 

"Umm, yes, there are both boys and girls born everywhere." (I had no idea he labored under the misconception that only girls were adopted!). 

"So I could get a brother?" 

"Theoretically, yes," I answered, thinking of how he had been fussing all morning about how his brother keeps getting into his toys, "Do you want another brother?" 

"Yes Mommy, let's go to India and get 5, they got 2, but I want 5." 

I choked, "You want 5 more baby brothers?! 5 more like Jack?" 

"Yup, and 2 sisters, too, so we'll have some girls." 

"Gavin, where will they sleep?" 

"Well, the girls can sleep in the toy room (guest room) and the boys can sleep on Jack's floor."
 
Aah, so still not willing to share (we had originally planned on moving the boys in together sometime in the next year so we could keep the guest room when the 3rd addition arrives, but that is seeming more and more unlikely!). I finally quashed his hope though, "I don't think Daddy would let us get 7 more."

4 comments:

Pam said...

Loved this story! My Micah is 2.5, and his favorite thing to say right now is: "I want 5." It's so cute! I had to smile when I read this!
Pam
Micah's Momma

Amy said...

Awww-how sweet! Can you imagine that many babies - wow!

Cindy said...

Ha! I love kid-talk stories. They are the BEST!

I, too, would love 7 more but my husband would have a fit.

Congratulations on your soon to be addition!

Peter and Nancy said...

We did the "sharing a room" thing well before their sister came home, too. :o) They got to have bunk beds, so it was painless! I love your son's big heart . . .

-- Nancy (Anya Rashi's mama)