Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Big Day! (Updated)


I knew it was going to be hard, but it was harder than I thought! I had actually convinced myself it was going to be anti-climactic. We went to the Open House yesterday, met his teachers, saw his classroom and learned that his BFF is actually in his class (after we spent all summer telling Gavin he wouldn't be!). Then this morning hit...

He woke up at 5:45 this morning soooo excited and raring to go asking, "Can we leave now Mommy?" He helped me pack his lunch and his book bag, posed dutifully for all the pictures Daddy took and jumped into the car all smiles. He found the classroom with no problem, put his bag in his cubby and then I led him over to his chair. I told him that he should say "Hi" to the new friends sitting at his table. And then my sweet little boy looked up at me with a scared face and tears in his eyes. Uh oh.

I had to walk away at that point, I couldn't let all the little kindergarteners see me lose it! Daddy took over and helped him open his play dough and settle in at his spot at the table. By the time we left, he was okay, not smiling, but okay.

They had sweet volunteers with tissue boxes all over the kindergarten hallway, needless to say I needed a few. They told me they were going to take good care of him and Greg kept telling me the day would be over before I knew it. But here it is lunchtime and I am counting down the minutes until I can go pick him up. (By the way there are exactly 130 minutes!)

It has been SUCH a hard day, every time I think about it I get teary and I keep checking his class schedule to see what he is doing. So in any case definitely NOT anti-climactic! Good Lord we are going to have to have a million kids because I can't imagine what it will be like to watch the youngest go, this was heartbreaking enough! (I'm already starting to try to convince poor Greg that we need a fourth and we don't even have the third yet!)

Update: I feel so much better now! When I picked him up he was a little chatterbox telling me about all the fun things he did today (and he is NOT usually much of a talker so this was impressive!). Then he said- "Can I go back tomorrow" Well as a matter of fact you can!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Bless your heart! I know it can't be easy!

Julie & Patrick said...

I can't imagine watching your baby take those first few steps away from the nest. I bet he comes home excited to share his first day with momma!

Julie R