Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Waiting and Working Out

Overall, I have been proud of myself for how I've been "managing" the referral wait! Which basically means I'm proud of myself that I haven't been crazily impatient, I'm not exactly known for my patience ; ) But strangely I've found as we get closer I am having more difficulty, which is bad because we are likely still a long ways away! Unless something miraculous occurs we have to wait through at least 4-5 girl referrals (yup, I'm fairly certain everyone ahead of us is waiting for a girl) which is likely at least 8 months or more of waiting. Which is still shorter than we had originally thought (we had buckled in for a 2-3 year wait), but as all my bloggie friends ahead of us have gotten referrals I now find myself anxious, imagining the phone call, daydreaming about names and travel. Gone (hopefully temporarily) is my blissful denial. It was easy to disbelieve the reality when we were so far back and so far away. But now we're not far enough away or close enough, for peace!! Soooo... I'm looking for a new way to channel my anxious energy.

I was walking with Jack today and suddenly thought, hey I could run for 20 minutes instead of walking for 30 (not that this is truly a new revelation!). Now it's been a long time since I've run much. But I gave it a shot and although it was painful I made it off and on for about fifteen minutes (which is when my little Houdini wiggled out of his stroller belt; but on the bright side he forced me to do a nice slow toddler speed cool down : ) I've been inspired by a friend who just completed the Breast Cancer 5K and I'm going to attempt to get back to running. Since we've lived down here I have been sporadically searching for a soccer team (I played competitively until I was 4 months pregnant with Gavin up in NY) but they all seemed a bit too competitive for my level of fitness (which is sad to say not great). So I've decided to shoot for a goal. Still perusing the local 5K options, but I'm hoping to be ready in about 8-10 weeks, then hopefully be ready for soccer season in the spring! I'm writing figuring I'm more likely to stick with it if it's public! And also to see if any of my bloggie friends or lurkers or anyone has any tips for how to get fit while caring for a toddler? Would love a gym membership but alas all extra money is going into savings for the adoption expenses. And short of getting up at 5am (with my grading and teaching evenings are out) I have to have something I can do with Jack. I have a few videos to try and can do some running outdoors with him in the stroller (but he doesn't have a ton of patience for it) and I suppose I can try our Wii fit but it doesn't seem like a great workout to me. Ideas anyone??

Oh and my other method for dealing? Field trips! From last weekend:

5 comments:

Amy said...

I am praying that everyone will have a shorter wait! It really is so hard and then after referral you enter into another type of impatience ;). Good for you on the running goals. I am trying to get back into it myself. No marathons yet - just trying to perfect my time for my 2 miles. I have a long way to go.....

Peter and Nancy said...

I am not the most inspiring person to ask about excercise -- I haven't been to the YMCA for myself since Anya Rashi came home last Dec. She is child care phobic, so there's no end in sight. On the up side, my older sons like to do my 25-min. Pilates video with me. :o)
-- Nancy

Shad and Maggie Alsworth said...

You my dear might want to update your blog! Yeah! Tami just informed us that we are #6. Move yourself up girlfriend!! :)

The Labontes said...

I want to know what tips you get for fitness with a toddler. I find it difficult to find time, and when I have it, I just want to sleep.
Kristy

Julie & Patrick said...

We use time in the jogger for Devi's snack time. Raisins are her favorite. I buy them in the little boxes so she has to open them up and then dig them out of the box. Keeps her entertained for a good long while...or at least until I am all tired out! We also jog to parks...her reward is being able to get out and swing when we arrive at the destination.

Julie R