In May we simply walked into our bank and the lady smiled and stamped them happily. Well, yesterday we go to the same bank, same counter and are told by a frowny woman that she will have to check on it "since all the banks are cracking down on what they can and can't do". So she calls her legal department (and keep in mind here I am a licensed attorney, so I actually understand the conversation she is having in front of me a bit better than she does!) She gets off the phone and tells me that they can no longer do legal documents. I want to laugh, but I refrain. And what exactly do they qualify as legal documents, I ask? She looks a little stumped by this but apparently the legal department also mentioned anything that will be part of the public record. I have a number of issues with this- one- ANYTHING can become a legal document and really what would someone notarize other than a document that has some relation to some legal proceedings? two- so what, so what if they are called into court, all they have to do is say yes someone appeared before me and showed id saying they were this person so I stamped their document and three- OUR documents are going to INDIA, so they don't even meet your public record "requirements". The poor woman looked utterly confused (mind you I said this all very calmly as I was still hoping that maybe the bank manager standing behind her would relent). Nope. They suggested we go to Shipping Depot, "They only charge like $3.00 a page," he told me. Whaaaaat?! We had over fifty documents!
All's well that ends well as a truly lovely and saintly woman in Greg's HR Department happily spent over forty-five minutes notarizing our documents. And gave us cookies to boot. But we put our money in that bank for a reason, they were supposed to have good customer service! Ugh.
Still our documents are done and winging their way over to Tulsa as we speak, so hopefully we're moving one step closer (even without the stupid bank's help- can you tell I'm still a bit bitter about this?!)



8 comments:
We had a similar issue with our bank so we used our local FedEx Kinko's. Our bank just acted so inconvenienced and suspicious..... I think Kinko's charged $.50 a copy. So sorry you had to deal with that annoyance. I have noticed that generally most notaries do not like to notarize ;). Glad you got it completed and had cookies too!
Wow -- our biggest worry was how to keep our sons (age 5 and 7) busy at the bank for 45 min. while we got everything notarized! That's what happens when I want to do something right away though -- probably should've planned on a sitter! :o) I think it's pretty funny that you actually knew more about the process than the bank folks.
-- Nancy
So sorry that they were understanding. What goes around comes around. This didn't cause any harm but you never know what kind of inconvenience they may experience for being picky.
BTW I'm still mad at the guy at the post office for being rude to me 2 years ago. I refuse to go through his line.
Glad that it ended well and your papers are on their way to India. :) Our bank acted strangely too the last time, but ended up doing the notarizing. There were a few anxious minutes there waiting for the lady while she checked with her manager. Annoying!!! You'd think they'd be happy to help bring adorable babies home from India...
How annoying! We are very lucky to have a family friend that comes on over any time we need a notary. We gave her a gift certificate after we got Max Rup home to express our gratitude!
Kristy
Colleen,I hope our banks do not give us a time!!! We are waiting for our immigration approval,I hope it doesn't take too long,we can't get a referral until it is approved!! Another lesson huh?
Same story with us. The bank was always happy to do it until we had the stack...with some papers tied with string from India! We have been threatening to leave that bank ever since. It obviously left a lasting impression. Hope the treatment you got didn't squelch your excitement too much!
So glad you are off and running again.
Julie R
Too bad you aren't in Allegany County any more- I'm a notary! :) Sorry you had to go through that! Hopefully things will go smoother from here!
Post a Comment