*Speech of Angels (Sharon Maas). A must read for all India adopive families! Has interesting views of India, adoption, identity and connection and best of all wonderfully developed characters and storylines. (Warning it is hard to find in the US I had to order it from abroad).
*Digging to America (Anne Tyler). Very readable, interesting struggles with culture and retaining and giving up (either voluntarily or involuntarily) although I wouldn't say the main storyline is adoption, it is adoption-related and a good read!
*Monsoon Summer (Mitali Perkins) 2006. A young adult novel so very accessible. The narrator's mother was adopted from India and the family goes back for the summer and the narrator volunteers at the orphanage. Sweet story and has some good descriptions of India and orphanage issues.
Daughter of the Ganges (Asha Miro) 2007. Although this is certainly an adoption story (the author returns to India, her birth country, as an adult), the author does seem remarkably well-adjusted and the focus isn't solely on identity definition. What I think I learned the most about was what it is like to see India from a unique perspective. A very easy read, good descriptions and definitely a must read for the India adoption community!
General Adoption Books
Interracial Intimacies: Sex, Marriage & Adoption (Randall Kennedy). Not the easiest read, it is pretty academic (with the footnotes and all) but I found it fascinating. It traces the cultural opinions and historical reactions regarding trans-racial love. Really eye opening, regarding the history and the ways that line has been crossed. It's a LONG book and takes some effort but I think for those of us embarking on transracial families it's got good historical and cultural information.
Of Many Colors: Portraits of Multiracial Families (Gillespie) 1997. Not a traditional book, it is mostly a book of photographs of families. But I loved it! The families statements (and they often included statements from the children) were interesting and beautiful. I read it over my morning coffee and it was a good way to start the day, upbeat and easy reading!
Dim Sum, Bagels and Grits: A Sourcebook for Multicultural Families (Myra Alperson) 2001, The author gives many familial anecdotes (hers and others). It's an easy read. But what I was most excited about was the resources chapter- but they are almost all outdated (most of the webstores no longer exist). Just goes to show how quickly the adoption world changes.
Are Those Kids Yours (Cheri Register) 1990. I always like reading other adoptive parents' stories. She gives many familial examples to keep things interesting. She also has some good advice on how to bring up adoption with her daughters and addressing the gaps in adopted children's stories. What really struck me the most was her discussion of how most birthmothers are deemed to be choosing to give up their child when really there is no choice at all. I also liked her discussion of the obligation to those left behind. It's an easy read. A bit old though, so much has changed in the adoption community in 20 years.
Outsiders Within: Writing on Transracial Adoption (ed. Trenka et al). This was tough, but worth it. It is a book of essays, most by adult adoptees. Many are quite critical of adoption, some even of their adoptive parents. But what I thought was particularly useful was the consideration of the global issues and relationships that have led to the need for international adoption. Also some of the references to yearning for "exotic-ness" were quite thought provoking. But it's difficult. Made me question and re-question my motives and how to sensitively raise our children. Some guilt here- I know I could probably have used our adoption money to help six families raise their own children and that point is not lost on these authors.
9 comments:
Ohhhh! How precious!! What an angel!
Ha! Don't count on it!! ;) Micah hasn't slept in 2 years!!!
Sweet Dreams little one
:) Julie R
There's something so innocent and vulnerable about a sleeping baby -- I love her fragile little eyelids and sweet mouth! She's a doll.
-- Nancy
she is beautiful! Congratulations again.
She is precious!! I love to watch babies sleep.
April
Adorable! Sleeping is very good...I'm with you--hopefully it bodes well for future sleeps.
Heather
waiting for NOC
She does look peaceful, doesn't she.
Kristy
She's delicious! ;)
Post a Comment