Friday, March 13, 2009

Talking Myself Down off The Metaphorical Ledge

I couldn't decide whether to post this or not, but in the end I have found courage and strength by following the honest struggles and joys of those who have gone before, so here it is:


As the months since referral have passed, my daughter has become more and more real to me. We named her, we talk about her, we shop for her, dream about her. She has changed and grown through the pictures we have received and our images and mental pictures have changed along with her. When she hit her milestones- smiling, rolling over, sitting up and now crawling, standing and talking a little- we smiled and cheered her from afar, proud of her accomplishments already. While we wished we were there to clap and videotape and give congratulatory hugs, we were mostly happy for the small glimpses.

But small glimpses are dangerous and sometimes scary. Really that sort of encapsulates this whole process- small glimpses- happiness, fear, anxiety and pride from afar. Most of our small glances at her are reassuring- she looks sweet and content and thoughtful in most of her pictures. She grows and changes and learns new skills.

But there are also moments that are scary- not so much for what you learn or see but for what you don't or can't. When she looks sick or unhappy and you can't tell why. When her feet look turned in an odd way and you can't tell if it's a sign of something. When you get updates that are 90% positive chronicling learning and growing, but... there are words that bring fear- she has fallen in the growth charts, her legs show some stiffness.

Let me be clear, she is my daughter, no matter what challenges, concerns and questions she brings. She will be my daughter if she screams at us someday for grounding her, she is my daughter if she throws her food across the room, if she howls in anger, grief or laughter. She is my daughter when she someday wakes me up at night, holds my hand or smiles sweetly. She is my daughter even if she's sick, can't write an 'A' essay or run on the soccer field, even if the worst case scenarios come true.

Yet for a short time today, after we got the update telling us so many good things- that she crawls, that she stands up, can say 'ma ma' and 'da da', I was depressed by some of the other words- the 'might' 'mild' 'maybe' words. I couldn't figure out why. It didn't really say anything we didn't already know. I just hadn't heard the words in awhile, hadn't thought about them, talked about them. At first I wished that we could somehow have skipped this update, which is so close to the end, since it just raised questions that won't be able to be answered until we have her home, if then. It just made me more anxious and nervous, more tired of waiting. It made me want her home NOW!

But after I let the updated information sit in me for awhile it sat better. I'm okay now. I looked at her picture, sat in her room for a moment and realized that she is the little girl she has always been and will be. It is up to us to be the best parents we can be, no matter what may come. I've always known this but it was good to have the reminder, to somehow find a peace in the uncertainty and the fear. Because actually for me that's really what motherhood has been for all of my children- finding moments of peace and joy amidst the hopes and fears you can't control and can't quite quell.

9 comments:

Amy said...

Colleen, it is hard hearing these things from afar. I think about our first doctor visit and getting some of the "issues" checked. I just want it over with but for now we wait. You are right, I have been coming to the realization that he is our baby no matter what. This is just part of the journey of international adoption and it brings all kinds of crazy emotions. One day this will be over and hopefully we will look back on it and think about everything we learned. Hugs!!!

Kristi W. said...

Well said! I can completely empathize with where you are at. I felt the same things when my girls were in the orphanage, and even now sometimes. When other babies who are Shaili's age are doing things she isn't, I have those brief moments of fear and panic. What if this, what if that. But you are so right, in the end none of it matters. Even in the worst case scenario (which almost never happens anyway) she is still my daughter. Thanks for putting those thoughts into writing. It is great to know that other moms are struggling with the same things. :) Kristi

Fenwick 5 said...

I totally agree. I think about those things also and we have not even got a referral yet! I am glad that you have found peace and I hope that you get your daughter home soon.I was sitting here thinking how in the world am I gonna wait months to go get her. I guess that is what we are all here to do and that is support one another. Gidget

Pam said...

So well written! Great way to put it all out there for us. For us, we didn't know Micah would be as delayed as he was. We figured he was more advanced than he was when we arrived. We were more worried about the issues of bonding/attachment and all of that. We didn't give too much thought to his physical condition. He actually needed more help in that area than anything!! The fears, moments of panic, the unknown....we have all been there...still are there. That is the beauty and pain that is adoption. I pray your heart is at peace again, and that soon you will see for yourself how well she is doing!

The Pfeiffer Family said...

Colleen, thank you for sharing your heart! I appreciate your honesty. I wonder some of the same things and I don't even have a referral yet. Adoption sure is a process on so many levels, paperwork, emotions, spiritual growth, patience and the list goes on and on. Hang in there.

April :-)

Candice said...

I felt a constant spiritual struggle during the adoption process...between my fears and desires and then unknowns, and resting in peace with the Lord give us the child he had for our family. I felt like Satan would use any tool he could find...fear, frustration, time...to de-rail our adoption process. I had to almost daily lay it down at the Father's feet. Hang in there. You have a lot of "sisters" praying for you!

Candice

Todd and Michele said...

Colleen, This is one of the most trying parts of waiting. Not being there to confirm one way or another what you see or hear or read about. No way to console the tears you seen in the pictures. You must know that the Ayahs take GREAT care of these kiddos and that if they see anything unusual they always try and keep the parents updated. I guess I'd rather have tell us everything, then them sugar coating it, only to be surprised when you actually pick-up your child.

My thoughts and prayers are with you while you wait.

Michele

Traci said...

Hi, Colleen - I'm a bit behind on checking blogs and just read this one. I greatly appreciate you sharing your thoughts. I hope you keep it up. Well done - Traci G. (#6)

The Labontes said...

Well said, my friend. We all wait and wonder. We prepare for the worst and hope for the best. And in the end, we all claim our children who somehow fit perfectly into our lives.