


I was reminded yet again today how time flies. Today was Jack's actual birthday and it was a pretty low-key day (his party was yesterday) so there was lots of time for snuggles and to listen to him sing "Happy Birthday to Jackie" to himself. He loved, loved being sung to- his little face lit right up and he looked around at everyone singing to him (very different from Gavin who wants to run out of the room every time his birthday singing rolls around). He loved his Thomas train cake (yeah, Mommy doesn't cook) and is really loving his Wonderpets toys (another of his favorite songs to sing- The Wonderpets save the Bengal tiger theme song!) and his Imaginext fire station. He is such an excitable little boy he really digs the present opening part of his birthday.
As I am sitting here writing this I am doing what many Moms do, thinking of what I was doing at this exact moment two years ago (just hopping in the car, feeling every turn Greg took and wondering how in the world I was going to make it without an epidural if it already hurt so bad- turns out I was already 10 cm dilated and didn't know it! The boy was almost born on the lobby floor!) This is the first family birthday we have hit since Lia's referral and in many ways I actually found today comforting. Like all adoptive Moms I think about all the time we are missing with her but as I was rocking Jack to sleep for his nap today I thought- there is still so much baby left in him, so many cuddles, so much learning and exploring and I realized that for as much as we're missing there's so much more left for the after part. Of course, in one way it was a difficult day too as all day long I thought of what it was like to give birth to Jack and have that memory of his entry into our family and I know that is something I won't be able to do in exactly the same way with her. It suddenly became clear why "Adoption Day/Gotchya Day" or whatever you call it, is so important- because of the memory of the beginning of it all, to remember how small they were and how far we have all come as a family. I remembered that and was again comforted (and hey I know my kids will welcome the opportunity for another day of cake!)
So, one last 'Happy Birthday' to my sweet baby boy who is becoming more boy than baby every day. Who's newest favorite exclamation is "Oh, my Word!" (no idea where he got that from) who is such a happy, mischievous, singing, climbing, snuggly, chatty little boy. We are so very lucky to have you.



5 comments:
Happy Birthday to Jack - what a cutie!
Happy Birthday Jack!! You can tell from the photos he is having a great time at his party! He sure is cute!
April :-)
Happy Birthday to Jack,cute pictures Colleen!!gidget
What a dramatic birth story! My mom's first two labors were like that -- barely making it to the hospital in time. :o) I can't wait to read the story of how your daughter comes into your family!
Happy birthday, Jack!
-- Nancy
Happy Birthday! Thank you for your insight...though we are missing lots with Piyashi there is SO much still to experience!
What a fun day for your boy!
Heather
Post a Comment