Friday, January 9, 2009

NOC Granted!

I've actually been keeping this a secret for just a few days as we were waiting on some stuff, but now all's good and I can share! We got our NOC and are on to the courts! It is a huge relief as I was starting to worry that something was wrong but nope all's good (so far but you can keep praying for things to keep moving ; )

I have devoured our India tour guides the past two nights (stayed up waaaay too late especially given the sleeplessness our little angel has given me- read previous post) and am full of anxiousness and excitement. I am also however totally heartbroken that we have to go without the boys (especially given the hotel prices- youch!). I would bring Gavin in a heartbeat, he is a well-traveled little guy and is excellent on planes. However, although I know Jack would charm the pants off everyone we meet he is also NOT at all patient and is a very active toddler, so even if we could somehow get past the additional cost I know it's not a wise choice (but it still breaks my heart). So bloggie readers please tell me I'm being a huge wimp and it'll be fine and over before I know it and they'll be none the worse for wear and maybe I'll even enjoy the alone time with hubby and daughter! I need to hear it!

We are determined to see a bit of our daughter's country while we're there. But it seems none of you BTDT's have done any tours? I know it's not a tourist trip but I know with China adoptions tours are quite common (and even when I was living in China I often went on guided tours and had friends or other natives take me to sites and shopping locales) and I read about some seemingly really interesting ones in the guide books? Anyone? Maybe this means it's easier to get around then I'm imagining? I'm also a little intimidated by the way the guides describe the eating options as very crowded and sometimes difficult for foreigners so any advice there would be good too (although I've traveled quite a bit I must admit I've rarely been on my own somewhere without a native speaker with me or somewhere I felt comfortable that many people spoke English).

Anyway, for now the mood is happy and hopeful (and very, very tired).

9 comments:

Amy said...

WAHOO!!!!! NOC NOC NOC!!!! Sorry - that was my little cheer for you!!!! I am so glad you got this long awaited news! I know it must be hard to leave your boys but I think the bonding time alone with Lia will be great.

Also, I think taking a tour would be cool. Hoping you get through court quickly!

Sara said...

Yeah!!! Congratulations!! I'm so glad you have this milestone completed. I've been talking with a US family that lives over there. I'm happy to forward you her advice about traveling there if you want.

saradrinkard at yahoo dot com

Julie & Patrick said...

Yay! Hooray!! Great news.

We did a bit of traveling (Delhi, Agra, Jaipur) while in India...our travel agent explained how to book our own train tickets to save $$. Once in a location, there were always recommended people (tour guides) to use to help navigate the seas!! Usually, the hotels could recommend someone, or if you liked a particular rickshaw or taxi driver they could always take you around or recommend someone that they knew. This method was much less money. Just remember to always set a price before going anywhere :0) They also were really great at recommending places to eat. Both travel books we used were accurate too. Good Luck planning and congrats!

Julie R

The Pfeiffer Family said...

YEAH!!!! I just read on the forum that you were waiting for legals for Lia so I jumped right over to your blog and sure enough your NOC has been granted!!! I am SO happy for you. Another step out of the way!!!! Happy planning.

I too am bummed that we will be leaving our boys at home when we travel to pick up our daughter. It would be fun for them to go, but it is sooooo expensive and with the LONG flight (which I have already taken once), the different food, different time schedules, chance of them getting sick, we decided that it would be best to have them stay with Grandma and Grandpa. This way I will not have to worry about keeping track of 2 VERY active boys in a foreign country while trying to bond with my new daughter. Heart breaking decision, but feel it is the best decision for us.

April :-)

Candice said...

Yeah! I know the wait has not been easy. I'm glad the new year is starting off with movement!

We are not taking our children either. I know they would do ok, but we just feel like it will be more fair to Micah to give him that time, and also our children hopfully will not have to see him grieve, if he does.

Here's to moving right along! :)

Candice

Kristi W. said...

Yay, yay, yay!!!! So glad this is done and you are on to legals now! We did the same as Julie, just found a driver we liked and asked him to show us around. In Kolkata we asked one of the hotel workers to recommend someone to show us around town and that's how we met our friend Nirmal. As far as eating, you can never go wrong with any restaurant recommendations from Frommers. WE never ate from any street vendors, only restaurants that we knew were good. You can tell which ones are safe and which aren't. You won't go hungry in India. The food is amazing and that's one of my favorite things about going there! :) Happy travel planning!!!

Kristi

Fenwick 5 said...

GREAT for NOC,I bet u are relieved.We are not taking our boys either.I do feel saddened by this but I know it will be better on them and us.Hope more moving comes soon.

The Labontes said...

YAY! Onto the courts!

We didn't take our kiddos because of cost and they would not travel well. I missed 'em like crazy, but I'm glad we didn't. I was on sensory overload, and cannot imagine trying to be there for them as well. THe one phone time we called, Myles said, "hi, Mom, I'm hanging up on you now." And he did. He obviously missed us terribly :)

Kristy

Peter and Nancy said...

Congratulations! I'm so happy you're done with NOC! It is hard to think about leaving your kids at home, but I think you'll be SO glad you did (unless you know someone with tranquilizer darts for your plane rides!). Being outnumbered on those flights home would put me over the edge. :o)
This way you'll have a few precious days of undivided attention for your little girl.

We did our own sightseeing planning, and there are many people in the big cities who speak English. Our best advice is to only use drivers recommended by your hotel -- the taxi drivers on the street seem to result in the majority of rip-off stories we've heard. After we picked up Anya Rashi, we used the hotel's buffet and room service quite a bit -- it was so convenient with our new little one.